Halloween 2013 and Graveyard Taco Dip

Halloween is my favorite holiday! A similarity I share with Martha Stewart. I love dressing up and trying to make a costume that you can't purchase from the store. We headed over to Pat and Gillian's who graciously hosted all of us for a great Halloween party! There was tons of food! Thanks Gilly for all your work. Pat- nice job on the ice luge. Be sure to check out my small contribution to the party, Graveyard Taco dip recipe, at end of this post (via Pinterest).

I went as Madonna, every ones favorite Material Girl. Here was my inspiration:

The costume:


My hair was massive. I personally don't think the photos do it justice. It was hilarious! It took multiple conditioning treatments to get it all out the next day. I think Matt was a little concerned that it would never return to its normal state.

To get an idea of the process, here I am at the salon. He basically teased the hell out of it then added curls (and a bottle of hairspray). I think my stylist Ben must be a Southerner at heart.






Pumpkin patch fam. Love the hat Scott!




Pikachu

Zach and Kelly- Saved by the Bell



Matt was a Canadian in his Canadian Tuxedo!




Strike a pose!














One can never have too much denim.

Costume change for the cookie monsters.




Dance party


Thanks P&G for a great party! I want to do it all over again. Until next time!!!
Graveyard Taco Dip
I have a massive casserole dish so this is how I made mine. Adjust accordingly for the size of your dish. Layers can go in any order you choose. Some people put the bean or guac on top to make it look like stones or grass in the graveyard.
  • First layer:
 2 cans of refried beans mixed with 1 packet of Taco seasoning
  • Second layer:
 3 avocados, mashed with
 1 clove garlic, minced
 plus 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (can use pre-made guacamole to shortcut this step)
  • Third layer:
 1 package of shredded cheddar cheese
  • Fourth layer: 2.5 cups sour cream

  • Fifth layer:  2.5 cups of salsa
  • Sixth layer: 
1 bunch green onions, chopped with shredded romaine lettuce

Directions: 
In a small bowl, mix the beans and taco seasoning. In another small bowl, mix the mashed avocados, minced garlic, and olive oil.
In a 9x13 casserole dish, layer the beans, avocado mixture, cheese, sour cream mixture and salsa. Sprinkle the scallions and lettuce on top.
Chill at least an hour, or until ready to serve. (The dip can be made a day ahead and kept, covered, in the refrigerator.)
To make the tombstones and tree, cut the shapes you want out of 2 large tortillas. Place the cut-out shapes on a parchment paper lined cookie tray and bake at 350 degrees until the tortillas are nice and brown. Keep an eye out them, once they start browning, they can burn really fast. Put the tombstones and tree in the dip just before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts